February 1, 2015
ID Theft - What To Do If It Happens To You
Here are four things you should do if you know or even suspect that your Identification has been stolen.

1. Place a Fraud Alert on Your Credit Reports.


  • Alerts creditors pulling your report to take extra steps to verify your identity.
  • Contact ONE of themajor credit reorting agencies (CRA) and they will notify the other two agencies
  • lasts 90 days

OR: Place a Security Freeze on Your Credit Reports.


  • Stops ANYONE from accessing your credit report without your express permission.
  • Yo must notify EACH CRA to place the freeze.
  • A PIN will allow you to thaw or lift the freeze. Place a freeze or fraud alert with these numbers:
    Equifax: 800-685-1111, Experian: 888-397-3742, TransUnion: 888-909-8872

2. Close affected/Fraudulent Accounts.
  • Get dispute forms from the companies.
  • Send the form certified Mail, return receipt requested.
  • Once dispute is complete, ask for a letter confirming that the accounts and fraudulent debts are resolved.
  • Keep copies of ALL correspondence for your personal records.

3. File a Complaint with the FTC.


  • The Federal Trade Commission shares complaint data with law enforcement officials nationwide.
  • You need the complaint affidavit to serve as part of your "ID Theft Report" for disputing any further fraudulent activity. Report to 877-438-4338 or ftc.complaintassistant.gov

4. File a Police Report.
  • Take your FTC affidavit with you.
  • If the officer is hesitant to fill out a report, request an information-only report. you need the Police Report to complete your ID Theft Report.

For a more comprehensive guide to ID Theft, consult "Taking Charge: What To Do if Your Identity is Stolen" at FTC.GOV/IDTHEFT

If you are a victim of the State of South Carolina fraud event (11-2012), click here for more information:  http://www.sctax.org/NR/rdonlyres/E5A231EF-8A05-40FE-AA36-17453FF2C795/0/Urgent_New.pdf